Dr. Raymond Marcel Blasco
Date of Birth: November 14, 1925
Date of Death: March 16, 1995
The Main Library building of the Erie County Public Library is the Raymond M. Blasco, M.D., Memorial Library, named for Dr. Blasco. Dr. Blasco, who lived in Wattsburg, PA, donated money to replace the Library’s Bookmobile and to provide a funding source for the building of libraries in the Erie area.
In response to requests for information, Dr. Blasco’s sister has provided the following information about him.
Dr. Blasco was the son of Sycamore and Maryann McClelland Blasco.
Dr. Blasco married in 1959. He has 3 children, 1 son and 2 daughters.
He enjoyed playing the accordion, watching birds, playing bridge and reading novels.
Dr. Blasco attended Venango Township Elementary school in Lowville, PA and Wattsburg High School in Wattsburg, PA. Shortly after graduating in 1943, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy where he achieved the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
Dr. Blasco then enrolled at University of Pittsburgh and received a Bachelors of Science Degree in 1949, Masters of Science Degree in 1951 and Medical Degree in 1954. Dr. Blasco did his Internship at Hamot Hospital in Erie, PA and continued practicing in Erie through 1956-1974.
Dr. Blasco then moved to Fort Lauderdale, FL and practiced medicine for 12 more years. He retired 9 years before his death.
On December 18, 1990 Dr. Blasco donated Access PA equipment, computers and recreational reading materials for the Seneca High School library. He also set up an annual scholarship fund in 1991 for graduates at Seneca who meet the requirements.
Dr. Blasco purchased and had built to his specifications the bookmobile for the Erie County Public Library on February 15, 1992. He donated large sums of money for the new Erie County Public Library Main Library, which was dedicated to him after his death.