The Idea Lab is an adult maker space that offers open access to equipment. Our goal is to be an educational resource for the community to build creative skills.
Want to teach, have a class or equipment suggestion, or any other feedback? Let us know here.
Idea Lab Hours
The Idea Lab is closed to help stop the spread of COVID-19. We plan to offer online classes and activities throughout the summer. Please check this page for updates.
Idea Lab FAQs
To use the equipment in the Idea Lab, you will need a valid card in good standing.
- A signed Idea Lab Agreement is required of all users and visitors to the Idea Lab Makerspace and Media Lab. Exception is given to individuals or groups on staff-lead tours of the space.
- Users (or if minors, their parents/guardians) are responsible for any fees incurred for loss or damage to ECPL property, not associated with normal wear and tear, that is the result of inappropriate or unauthorized use of tools, equipment, or consumable materials, or for clean-up of the tools, equipment or the space. ECPL is not responsible for any damage to, or loss or theft of, users’ personal property including electronic files left on ECPL computers.
- Equipment and tools in the Idea Lab are available at no charge to library card holders, generally on a first-come, first-served basis during open hours.
At its discretion, staff reserves the right to disallow the use of any tools, equipment, or consumable materials, or to halt, delete, or disallow the creation of items that violate any library policy. Projects must be approved by staff prior to use to ensure that proper file format, size and materials are being used. Approval to use the Idea Lab does not constitute endorsement by ECPL of the uses to which the space is put or the products produced therein.
The Idea Lab has two kinds of equipment: open access and limited access. Open access equipment can be used during open hours by anyone on a first come first served basis and can also be reserved for up to one hour a day. Limited access equipment can only be used by those who have attended a program featuring the equipment, those who have worked one-on-one with staff with the equipment, or those who have completed our safety certification (coming soon).
Open access Hardware:
Sewing Machine, Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118
Cricut Maker, Easy Press, and Easy Press Mini
Basic Drawing supplies: paper, pencils, stencils, compasses
Basic adhesives: tape, glue, super glue, wood glue, mod podge
Vinyl Cutter, US Cutter2 SC Series 32”
Fiber Art Supplies: needles, thread, seam rippers, crochet/knitting needles
Large Format Printer, HP DesignJet T520 32” x 72” maximum print size
Laminator, 8 ½”x 11”
Open Access Software:
Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
Microsoft Office 2016
Vinyl Master 4
Limited Access Hardware:
3D Printers, Ultimaker 3
3D Scanner, Matter & Form
Vacuum Former, Mayku Formbox
You can reserve equipment here.
Open Access Hardware
Windows 10 PC, dual 27” monitors
Green Screen, Chromakey 10’x13’
Camera, Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR
Microphones, Lavalier (2), Condenser (3)
Channel Mixer, Yamaha MG10
Softbox Light, LimoStudio 700W 24”x24”
HD Video Camera
Sound board, PreSonus Studio1810c
Keyboard, Akai Professional MPK 249
Podcast Mixer, RodeCaster Pro
Open Access Software
Adobe Creative Cloud
Microsoft Office 2016
Fruity Loops Studio, Signature Edition
You can reserve the Media Lab here.
There are no fees to use any of the equipment in the Idea Lab and Media Lab. There are fees for consumable supplies:
- 3D Filament............................ $0.10 per gram
- Vinyl........................................ $0.50 per 12"x12" sheet
- Heat Transfer Vinyl………………. $0.75 per 12"x12" sheet
- Transfer Sheets........................ $0.50 per 12"x12" sheet
- Laminating Pouches................ $1.00 per pouch
- Large Format Printer.............. $5.00 per page
- Buttons………………………………… $0.25 per button
- Your first print is free after taking the Learn to 3D Print class.
- Total grams for 3D print jobs will be verified prior to printing a job to allow for design manipulation.
- Users may bring and use their own vinyl and paper for the Cricut and Vinyl Cutter.
- Drawing paper is free for use in the Idea Lab.
- Users may bring and use their own materials subject to Idea Lab staff approval.
Yes, donations are greatly appreciated! ECPL accepts new or gently used donations of the following items by appointment:
- Tools in clean and good working condition
- Consumable material that is relevant to programs being offered in the space
Staff reserves the right to decline donations, as well as remove those that no longer support makerspace activities. If requested, staff will provide a letter of receipt that donors may fill out for tax purposes. Staff is not qualified to determine the value of any donation. It is up to the donor to assign a value for tax purposes. Please email library staff to set up an appointment.
The VHS to DVD converter is now located in the Heritage Room.
Yes! We’d love to have you teach. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a class proposal form. We review class proposals once a quarter and add in new classes as best we can.
To use the 3D printers you must complete our Learn to 3D Print class. View available classes and sign up here or call 814-451-6927 to register.
To submit a 3D print job after having taken the Learn to 3D Print class, please use our Submission Form. Submissions via email are not accepted.
For specific questions related to 3D printing in the Idea Lab Makerspace, please call 814-451-6939.
Collaboratory 102 & 103
Collaboratory Rooms are available for small groups to meet and work collaboratively on projects in 1-hour increments. The rooms comfortably seat up to five people. They are available on a first come, first serve basis.
Reserve a room online, or call 814-451-6927.
Idea Lab Location
The Idea Lab is in the Blasco Library located on Lake Erie’s beautiful bayfront, just a short walk from Downtown Erie, on the Great Lakes Seaway Trail. The Blasco Library is located on a public bus line stop with ample parking for bicycles and vehicles.
For questions or to register for a program please call 814-451-6927. For questions regarding the Idea Lab Makerspace and Media Lab, please call 814-451-6939 or email email@example.com