As a service to patrons doing genealogical research, the Erie County Public Library has compiled and maintains a paper and an online obituary index for Erie County, Pennsylvania, from 1822 to present. The information for the obituary index is obtained from the listing of deaths in the daily Erie newspapers.
We maintain a searchable obituary index for Erie County, Pennsylvania, from 1822 to present. This database contains 279,440 records (includes to December 2017).
How to Search
- Do not use commas, quotation marks or other punctuation.
- The limit is two search terms that can be a mix of Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial, year of death, etc... EX: Miller 1997 or Miller Bruce or Bruce A
- Format your search with a SPACE in between search terms: EX. Roach E or Roach El or Roach Elizabeth or Roach 1912
- Searches are returned in alphabetical order by Last Name, First Name and the date of the obituary.
- The date listed in this index is the date(s) the obituary appeared in the newspaper, not the date of death.
- To browse an entire year, enter the year in the box: EX. 1975
- To browse an entire decade, enter the first three digits of the decade in to the first box: EX. 191
- Searches for names like Smith, Green, etc will give results that include Smithson, Greene, etc.
- Partial information will help limit your search results. Even just a first initial (first name, middle name, etc) can cut search results in half when used with a last name.
ECPL staff can fulfill record requests for obituaries by mail or email. Visit the Obituary Request form for complete details.
ECPL staff can fulfill record requests for obituaries by mail or email. The fee is $5.00 per name requested; up to ten names can be included in each request.
Visit our online Obituary request form.