Library Services for Patrons with Special Needs
The Erie County Public Library strives to make materials, information and services accessible to all. We recognize that some of our users have special needs and may require modifications or assistive devices to allow them to utilize everything the Library has to offer.
The Blasco Library has the following:
- T.D.D. (Telecommunication Device for the Deaf): Call the Library Reference Desk at (814) 451-6931.
- Kurzweil Reader with voice synthesizer software and headphones to “read” a book, magazine or newspaper. It is located at the Reference Desk.
- Closed Circuit Television for print resources. It has magnification and adjustable color contrast for easier viewing and readability. Located near Reference Desk on the first floor.
- Internet Access for the Visually-Impaired. This computer features Internet access with both screen magnification and voice synthesizer software. Located near Reference Desk on the first floor and in the internet lab on the second floor.
- Lighted magnification screen. Available on a PC in the second floor Heritage Room.
- Alternative keyboard. One-handed keyboard is available in the second floor Internet Lab.
- Adjustable workstations. For greater comfort and convenience. Available in second floor Internet Lab.
- Adult and children’s audio books. Located in Mead Children’s Library and first floor adult areas. Audio books are also located at all other library outlets. Digital audio titles are available via Overdrive and hoopla. A valid library card is required for these services.
- Adult Large print book collections. Fiction is located on the second floor of the Blasco Library and is also available at all other library outlets.